8/05/2012

The City of Richardson Public Library

One book that I like is "Homegrown Democrat" by Garrison Keillor.  In the book,  Keillor  lays out some of his own political views, the events of his life that shaped them, and how these views align him with the Democratic party despite it's imperfections.  A point that is raised  at least once is the importance of funding public libraries, and I tend to agree.

Granted, I do see people checking out stacks of DVDs, which to me can come across like using the library as a free DVD renting service, but I guess that's not so bad.  

I also see things that really illustrate the importance of these public services, like someone using the computers to fill out an online job application or taking notes from a guidebook for a certification exam.  These people do not come across like they want to milk the system for a handout.  The look like they want a job, or they want a job that is better than the one they have now.

Then there are the things that just make me smile: kids getting excited about a book, or a little kid I saw to day who was wearing an empty backpack around.  I know it was empty because it was unzipped nearly all they way and was hanging open.  It also looked very new.  I don't know for sure, but I imagined that it was his new backpack for school and he was excited to wear it.  At least that is what I'm hoping.

I also saw this gem today: a man standing in the checkout line by himself with a stack of books.  All had titles like "Your First Pregnancy" and "A Guide to Yoga for Pregnant Women."

Congratulations man, did you just find out today?

1 comment:

  1. I lived in our local library when I was a kid. I just had to have my star up on the wall for reading 20 books over the summer. In fact, I scoffed at how easy it was to read so "few" books, since I went there at least once a week. Sadly, I don't go as often (darn Kindle), but I love that we have them. Loved the story of the kid with his new backpack hanging open!

    ReplyDelete